Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Finding your new job in Tasmania seems to be a tough nut to crack, particularly if you don’t live there yet. I’ve applied for a number of various positions in the last two or three months, even spoken with some of the hiring managers who sounded pretty interested, but no luck yet. Do I have to relocate first before a potential employer will even look my way? Would anyone have any advice that may help? We are finally in a position where we can make our dreams of relocating permanently to Tasmania come true.

Julie
    Participant

I sympathise Byron, as I’m in a similar position living in Perth. Our house will be going on the market shortly so we’re hoping it won’t be too long before we can make the move. There are some positions coming up soon that I will be applying for – the department/recruitment manager I spoke to said they hope to advertise them in February, although it could be a little later (which would actually suit us better!). Like the managers you’ve spoken to, he seemed pretty interested and has strongly encouraged me to apply when the jobs are advertised, but I still wonder, when it comes to the crunch, whether they’ll be willing to offer me a position if I’m not actually living there yet. I made it quite clear that I am quite prepared (and more than willing!) to move to Hobart and start work whilst my partner deals with the sale of our house and then follows later, but I don’t know whether that will be enough – will just have to keep fingers crossed and hope the house sells quickly!

Byron
    Participant

Do you ever get the feeling that sometimes it never seems to rain but it pours,,,,,since my initial post, I have had an ‘in person’ interview for a position in Queensland which sounds very very promising as well as a phone interview,,on the same day, for a prominent and well known organisation in the launceston area. In my mind, there’s no contest as to which position I would choose if I’m offered both. So just my opinion,,,,pursue your dreams,,nothing in your life will change if you don’t try/do something different. Fortunately, we don’t have to sell our house first before finding our new home in Tasmania,,,although at the same time I do need new employment fairly quickly to see our dreams realised. Don’t lose hope,,sometimes life changes very quickly 🙂 I also expressed with the hiring manager that I spoke with today that I would pay for my own relocation costs.

Jo (Admin)
    Keymaster

Hi Byron,

Wow – it looks like things are moving quickly. Good luck with the job. I hope everything progresses as you hope.

Finding work is really tricky. There seems to be a lot of hidden opportunities in Tassie, which you find basically from knowing someone or knocking on doors. Not everything gets advertised.

Your advice to pursue your dreams is most definitely true.

Jo

Julie
    Participant

That sounds very promising Byron, let us know what happens! Keeping my fingers crossed for you for the Launceston position.

As Jo says, it seems things like networking can be very important when trying to find employment in Tasmania. I came across this whilst I was looking at the State Government’s “Make it Tasmania” website:
    https://www.makeittasmania.com.au/tasmanian-employment-networking-service-tens/ (Jo – I hope i’s OK to post this link here? Please remove if not).

It’s a service the Govt is trialling to assist people in finding work in the fields of Health, Construction and ICT (Information and Communications Technology). I work in Health, so filled in the enquiry form and sent it off – it took a little time, but the gentleman I spoke to was able to track down and put me in touch with the relevant manager at Royal Hobart Hospital, which was how I found out about the positions that will be coming up soon, so it was certainly worthwhile getting in touch with them (for me, anyway).

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  Julie.
    Byron
    Participant

Jo is right, networking works. That’s how the position in Queensland I interviewed for came about. I guess if making your dreams come true were easy,,everyone would be doing it

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.