Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Hi,

We are very glad you have found the forums!

This is a great place to ask whatever questions you like about moving to and living in Tassie. You will get answers from other members, plus we will also be in here to answer and help you as well.

You can read all about our Move to Tassie story on the About Us page and also in a blog post about our return to Tasmania in 2011 and another about our move again in 2014.

We can’t wait to meet you in here and hear all your stories.

Jo and Dale

Janine Green
    Participant

Hi Jo& Dale, well our month in Hobart is nearly up, we make our way home to Bellmere, north of Brisbane, on Saturday ( driving) We have been researching different areas, & have decided south of Hobart, Woodbridge, The Huon, Cygnet, really suits us. We have inspected 8 properties to buy, haven’t found The One yet. We live on acreage, so looking for at least 2 acres. We have also looked in New Norfolk area, but have received a lot of negative comments about that area? Any feedback regarding our quest would be appreciated. Thanks Janine& Ron.

Jo (Admin)
    Keymaster

Hi Janine and Ron,

It sounds like you had a really productive time on your visit. Congrats on narrowing down the options.

You will find that looking for the perfect property in the rural locations can take some time as you wait for the right property to come on the market. Of course there are less properties overall than in the city and also less turnover of properties generally. Winter is also much quieter on the property market than the warmer months.

The areas south of Hobart you have selected are all really lovely locations and communities. Plus you have the bonus of being within reach of Hobart for the occasional visit.

Re New Norfolk – traditionally it has been a lower socio-economic area, and to a large extent that remains. The Derwent Valley is beautiful though and the make up of the community is slowly changing as people see the potential in the area and the properties that are being bought and renovated in New Norfolk and beyond. You are likely to get more for your money in this area, compared to the Huon and Channel areas, so it is a judgement about what might suit you best.

I hope that helps a little.

Jo

allisonjf
    Participant

Hi Jo and Dale
    I am so happy to have found your website. I grew up in Hobart but I moved to Sydney 20 years ago where I met my husband and stayed to raise our family. I still have my Mum and two brothers and an extended family living in Hobart and we visit at least once a year. We have enjoyed living in Sydney but I have always hoped that we would be able to move to Tassie one day. I miss the beautiful views of the mountain and river, the East coast, the slower pace of life, the rasberries, the amazing fresh food, the beautiful Botanical Gardens, Salamanca market and last but not least I miss all my family. My husband, Doug, is from Sydney and we have two teenage girls. Douglas has recently become redundant and is ready to retire but I still work part-time as a Primary School Teacher. I taught in the Catholic system in Tassie for 8 years before moving to Sydney and I would need to find work in Hobart once again when we relocate. One of my daughters will be completing Year 12 in 2020 so we plan to move to Tasmania at the end of 2020. Our decision has been triggered by the fact that my Mum has decided she is going to sell her beautiful old home in Lindisfarne and move into one of the townhouses which are going to be built later this year down the road to her home. We really love her house and after much discussion decided to make her an offer which she has verbally accepted but of course nothing will be set in concrete until the townhouses are built and she has secured one of them. She has been talking with the agent who will be selling the townhouse and she is hoping to buy off the plan. We would need to rent out the house in Lindisfarne for one year to enable my eldest daughter to finish her HSC in Sydney. At this stage, my biggest concern will be finding a school for my youngest daughter, who will go into Year 10 in 2021. She has a mild to moderate intellectual disability. She currently attends a private Anglican school in Sydney which has its own Lifeskills class. Any advise you can offer would be much appreciated.

Allison

Jo (Admin)
    Keymaster

Hi Alison,

Lovely to hear from you and your story. Another Tasmanian planning a return after many years away!

It is great that you already have a house you love in place – assuming that all goes to plan. It will certainly help the transition to move to a home you already know and love. Your mum will love moving into a brand new place too.

In terms of the best school options for your youngest daughter, I am sorry but I don’t have direct knowledge of Lifeskills or similar programs that Tasmania may have in place.

I suggest that for the Catholic system, you could contact them through https://catholic.tas.edu.au to ask about how they support students, for other private schools see the listing and links here on the schools page, and for the government schools, this page details supports for students with disability – https://www.education.tas.gov.au/supporting-student-need/support-students-disability/ . Although I would suggest contacting the specific school to ask questions (Geilston Bay High School probably?).

I know I have just given you lots of work to do rather than answers, but hopefully firing off a few ‘copy and paste’ emails will get the ball rolling for you and some information coming in for you to compare the services provided across the Tassie schools.

All the best and please let me know if I can help with anything else along the way.

Thanks
    Jo

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.